Maria Riccio is a pensions lawyer with over 30 years experience and is a full member of the Association of Pension Lawyers . She is ranked Band 1 in Chambers Directory and as a Leading Individual in the Legal 500.
Pensions is a highly regulated and legislated area of the law. Although this is the case, my approach is to simplify as much as possible and give my clients pragmatic commercial advice. I am passionate about what I do for my clients and am focussed on getting the best possible outcome.
My practice is broad ranging and covers both non contentious and contentious work relating to all types of UK pension arrangements. I advise employers; trustees; intermediaries; law firms without pensions expertise and private individuals.
Although I advise across all sectors, I have a particular interest in providing advice to charity sponsored occupational schemes, acting for employers or trustees; advising independent schools participating in the Teachers' Pension Scheme and helping individuals with pensions related complaints and disputes.
Examples of work I undertake include:
- Scheme amendments and mergers
- Scheme closures and wind ups
- Scheme communications and pension consultation
- Defined benefit funding and debt issues
- Regulatory issues ( Pensions Regulator and Pensions Protection Fund)
- Pensions support to Firms without pensions law expertise
- Pensions aspects of corporate transactions and restructuring
- Pensions aspects of insolvency
- Scheme documentation
- Disputes ( including Internal Dispute Resolution; Pensions Ombudsman and High Court )
- Private sector participation in public service pension schemes
"Maria Riccio combines expertise and clarity of thought in her subject with the ability to explain to those that do not know or understand pensions what the issues are. She has good ideas about how to overcome problems and does not sit on the fence- she gives advice. Maria is clear in her analysis of the risks which is a big help with our decision making"
"Maria Riccio is fantastic- she really understands the issues and puts the client at the heart of what she is doing. Her advice is always pragmatic. If there is a pensions issue, she is always the first choice"
- Legal 500 2020
"An excellent performer with broad experience of both advisory work and litigation"
- Chambers Directory 2020
My Career History:
- Legal Executive and Solicitor - Nabarro Nathanson ( now CMS Cameron McKenna Nabarro Olswang LLP)
- Senior Solicitor - Paisner ( now Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner)
- Senior Solicitor and Partner - Blake Lapthorn ( now Blake Morgan)
- Legal Counsel and Partner - Bond Pearce ( now Womble Bond Dickinson)
- Partner - Penningtons; Penningtons Manches and Penningtons Manches Cooper