The property market is up and running again, and we are here to help you buy or sell your home quickly and safely.
Setfords has been operating a remote-working model for more than 10 years and is set-up to enable clients to complete home sales or purchases without having to meet their lawyer in-person. We can also help you adhere to social distancing rules because:
- The bulk of documentation can be sent by email.
- We have access to an electronic signature service, further reducing the need to post documents.
- We have conference and video calling facilities which allow us to hold online meetings and discussions.
Setfords continues to operate the same high levels of service it always has, which is why if you instruct one of our lawyers you will not only get the speed and communication that is so often lacking during house purchases, you will also deal with someone with an empathetic ear.
We cannot control everything that happens, but we can control whether your lawyer makes the experience easier instead of harder. The day you complete on a house purchase will be one of the best of your life. So why not make sure the days leading up to it are not some of the worst.
We don’t just deal with buying and selling of course. There are many types of property issues that we handle. All of them with the same, dedicated approach.
3 easy steps to getting started
At Setfords our service is designed for your peace of mind. With highly qualified legal professionals at hand, our process will keep you updated every step of the way.
Call or complete our simple enquiry form
Our team will contact you to discuss your matter
Instruct for same-day file setup
Receive £100 off fixed fee conveyancing quotes on our Summer offer*
Important notice about Stamp Duty
Reduced rates of Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT) will apply for residential properties purchased from 8 July 2020 until 31 March 2021 inclusive. We are updating our calculator as soon as possible. Please read the government guidance and calculate stamp duty on your property here
Or call 0330 058 4011
*£100 discount applies to buying and selling legal fees online only.
Our property services
Whether you're buying or selling a property, Setfords Solicitors provides a tailored, efficient and stress-free service.
To achieve this we:
- Consult with our clients at the outset and take full, detailed instructions so that we clearly understand your requirements to avoid delays during the transaction
- Utilise the most up to date technology
- Work as a team to swiftly progress each matter
- Regularly update our clients and other parties involved in transactions
Our highly experienced team of lawyers act for a wide range of clients, including first time buyers taking their first step on the property ladder, high net worth individuals buying and selling high value property, and seasoned buyers building or selling their property portfolio. We therefore appreciate that different clients have different needs and in order to meet your needs we personally tailor our service every time to suit you.
Setfords Solicitors are specialists in Property Litigation. We have expert solicitors who undertake, and are able to advise on, the full range of commercial and residential property disputes, including:
- Neighbour and boundary disputes
- Adverse possession (for claimants and defendants)
- Disputes in respect of rights of way, prescriptive rights and easements
- Disputes involving restrictive covenants
- Right to light and party wall disputes
- Claims in respect of property development projects and litigation involving ransom strips
- Disputes involving conditional land contracts, option and overage agreements
- Claims against property professionals such as solicitors, builders and surveyors
- Nuisance and trespass claims
- Possession claims - For more information on possession claims in respect of both residential and commercial property please click here
At Setfords Solicitors we regularly advise a broad range of clients, including:
- Property Management Companies
- Public Bodies
No matter the size of organisation, we have solicitors that will be able to offer you expert advice. Our experienced solicitors can be trusted to act with all the diplomacy and sensitivity you would expect when dealing with difficult dispute matters to come to an acceptable solution.
In cases where it is possible that a dispute can avoid going to court, we know that early intervention is preferable. However, we also know that this is not necessarily the best way to guarantee an acceptable settlement. At Setfords Solicitors our expert solicitors understand the need to act quickly in order to protect our clients' interests and will efficiently guide you through the entire process with minimal fuss. We have experienced advocates and will represent you in court hearings when necessary. We also have superb working relationships with specialist barristers who we work closely with when appropriate.
Alternative dispute resolution ('ADR') is often an appropriate method of resolving property disputes, and we will advise you fully in this respect. Whilst each individual case will be different, ADR can often bring an early conclusion to a property dispute and, if successful, it will be more cost-effective than proceeding to trial. We can organise, arrange and represent you in relation to various forms of ADR such as mediation, expert determination and arbitration.
Under the the Leasehold Reform Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 residential leaseholders have various rights that may enable them to:
- Extend their lease or vary its terms
- Collectively buy their freehold with other leaseholders in the building
- Take over the management of their building
The law in this area is complex and certain qualifying criteria must be met before an application can be made. It is essential to the process that the strict time limits are complied with and so prior preparation before notices are served is always required. It is therefore important to obtain specialist advice. At Setfords we aim to provide this advice to clients or groups of people interested in pursuing their rights.
Our service includes:
- An initial consultation over the phone to discuss your individual circumstances
- Practical advice, as well as legal, on the best way to proceed
- We have contacts with valuers and surveyors who can assist in your matter
- We have the ability to deal with transactions of any size from individual lease extension applications to large group freehold acquisitions
We have considerable experience in dealing with 'Buy to Let' transactions and have an excellent reputation in this field due to our breadth of experience.
We deal with both companies and individuals. Some are just starting to build their portfolios while others are seasoned investors.
Our services include:
- Early assessment of legal paperwork to assess suitability of properties for investment
- Relevant searches and enquires are raised
- Reports on title prepared
- Registration of clients' interest at H.M Land Registry
- Bespoke tenancy agreements prepared
We also advise our clients of the regulations they need to comply with as landlords including information on houses in multiple occupation and 'Tenancy Deposit Schemes'. Please see our guide to buy to let for further information.
Remortgaging your property is now a regular event and usually occurs every 3-5 years. This may be to take advantage of changes in interest rates or to release equity. Whatever the purpose of your remortgage, we are able to offer a fast and efficient service.
Our services include:
- Working quickly to ensure the re-remortgage completes in time.
- Discharging all costs during the transaction, including broker fees, so that clients do not suffer any unnecessary administration post completion
- Forwarding any balance of funds directly to our clients' nominated account on the day of completion
Should you wish to obtain a detailed breakdown of the likely costs please email us.
We have considerable experience in acting for both buyers and sellers with auction properties.
Our services include;
- Preparing pre-auction reports on title covering contract terms and searches and any other documents made available prior to auction
- Acting quickly to ensure clients receive reports and advice in the best possible time frame
- Completing the necessary registration formalities with the Inland Revenue and the Land Registry