Having been a partner in two substantial national legal practices and run my own practice for over 20 years it was time to move to a firm with the flexibility which Setfords offers.
My professional practice has focused primarily on advising:
- Local authorities on town centre redevelopment schemes including the acquisition of land and interests via statutory procedures.
- Financial institutions and local authority superannuation funds on funding the development of commercial property schemes.
- Developers on land assembly, funding agreements, lettings and all relevant statutory agreements in connection with supermarkets and retail parks.
- International corporate pension fund on the funding of a retail scheme in the City of London, which included negotiating a complex head lease with the City of London, a development and funding agreement with the developer and over 40 retail leases
- A developer on joint venture agreements for the funding of overseas European retail schemes.
- A developer on the land assembly of schemes for NHS health centres throughout England and Wales and drafting the “ substituted rental” lease to doctors which have become standard for many health authorities and funding the development and sale off to a funding institution. To date, I have been involved in over 100 of such schemes.
- A developer on complex land assembly for “ extra care homes” letting to operators and their financing through Development and Funding Agreements.
- A developer on land assembly for development of crematoria and either the letting or the sale to operators.
- in connection with the purchase and sale of high-value residential properties both in urban and rural areas including dealing with complex planning issues and requisite rights of way and services.
Other Legal Work:
- The sale of assets on behalf of banks and insolvency practitioners in connection with financially distressed companies and individuals.
- Advising distressed companies and individuals in connection with their refinancing.
- The sale and purchase of shares in private companies with directors’ service contracts, warranties and indemnities.
- The setting up of a charitable foundation connected with the British Armed Forces and advising on general matters.
Being an early proponent of agile working in the last few years I have been based in the United Kingdom, the Middle East and the Far East and commuting between them. I will continue to offer my clients a multilingual service of Arabic, Mandarin and Hebrew.
Further pursuits have included photography.