Michael comes to Setfords after many years' experience in private client work including 25 years heading the Probate and Trust Department of an established West London firm and including a seven year term as Senior Partner.
Michael deals with many aspects of private client work including advising on the preparation of bespoke Wills and trusts and the administration of estates and trusts. He has particular practical experience in inheritance tax and estate planning, particularly for the business client.
Michael supports accountants and families in planning the succession of the family or proprietor owned business. He is unable to provide details of past experience and successes because all clients receive the utmost discretion.
Michael has for many years retained full membership of The Law Society Private Client Section and STEP.
The majority of Michael’s work involves: -
- Probate and estate administration with appropriate accounting and tax support.
- Bespoke Wills, including planning and drafting Wills for : -
- spouses and civil partnerships
- clients with businesses
- for cohabitants
- second or subsequent married persons or civil partnerships
- parents with very young children and the care needed arranging guardianship provisions and other practical issues
- and many other situations including overseas property or non-domiciliary in England and Wales.
- Codicils where appropriate
- Various powers of Attorney
- Trust breaking
- terminating trusts where no longer needed and give comfort to retiring trustees and assets to beneficiaries
- special Trust for parents of special needs/disabled child(ren)
- Estate Planning and peace of mind solutions
Having had the benefit of a Canadian father and English mother, seven years at a co-educational boarding school and starting out as a company lawyer, Michael finally realised he enjoys acting for and with people and found private client work.
Michael is married and in his spare time enjoys playing high handicap golf and is an avid Arsenal supporter.