Emma is a solicitor with over 20 years’ experience specialising primarily in property law matters, (both commercial and residential) including:
- Buying and selling property
- Drafting and negotiating leases/assignments/surrenders
- Business Lease Renewals including contested renewals
- Commercial Landlord and Tenant– forfeiture claims, dilapidations, service charges, possession claims
- Residential Landlord and Tenant – forfeiture claims, service charge disputes, possession claims
- Buying and selling businesses and disputes relating to sales of businesses
- General contractual disputes
- Boundary Disputes and Injunctions
- Obtaining possession of multi-tenanted sites for developers
- Expedited possession claims against trespassers on commercial sites
- Debt collection and insolvency
Emma trained and worked in the City as a commercial property lawyer before moving to Kent where she set up and ran her own practice for 7 years. In 2011 she decided to work as a Consultant so that she could concentrate her time on casework, without having the responsibility of managing a practice.
Whether your matter is large or small, Emma will focus on what you are trying to achieve and work out how to do this as easily, quickly and cost effectively as possible. She is passionate about the law and feels that many people find legal processes overwhelming primarily because they do not understand what is happening; she will explain the legal issues to you, avoiding legal jargon, so that you feel empowered to make decisions, confident that your interests are being protected. Emma loves nothing better than finding legal loop-holes, being pro-active and achieving a great result for her client.
Emma acts for clients throughout the UK, as well as for property investors worldwide. Emma only deals with boundary disputes in Kent however, so that she can meet clients face to face at their property.
Outside work, Emma likes cycling along the coast, food, theatre, the Comedy Store and working through as many Lonely Planet travel guides as possible.
What our clients say
“Emma is superb! She is efficient, hard working and a credit to Setfords.”
- SM, March 2017
“The selling of my late mother's property was handled by Emma Smith who undertook the task in a most efficient and professional manner. She is a credit to your profession.”
- Colin T M, January 2015