What is a Tier 1 (Investor) visa?
The Tier 1 (Investor) category is for high net worth individuals making a substantial financial investment of at least £2 million in the UK and is the quickest way to get settlement in the UK.
You can apply for settlement once you have reached 5 years’ continuous leave in the UK. However, an accelerated path towards settlement is available for those investing more in the UK.
The qualifying period for settlement depends on the amount invested:
- £10 million allows you to apply for settlement in 2 years
- £5 million allows you to apply for settlement in 3 years
- £2 million allows you to apply for settlement in 5 years
What criteria must I meet to be eligible for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa?
The general eligibility criteria are straightforward. You must:
- Be over 18 years of age
- Have money under your control held in a regulated financial institution and disposable in the UK amounting to not less than £2 million
- Be able to prove that the money belongs to either you or your husband, wife, unmarried or same-sex partner
- Have held the £2 million in funds for a consecutive 2-year period of time or alternatively, provide evidence of the source of the funds
- Have opened an account with a UK regulated bank for the purpose of investing not less than £2 million in the UK
Your funds can be in the UK or overseas when you apply.
How long will my Tier 1 (Investor) visa application take?
The Tier 1 (Investor) visa has the shortest investor immigration application processing time.
Typically a decision is made within 3 weeks. However, there are also priority processing options available in different countries which facilitate a decision within 5 working days.
How long is a Tier 1 (Investor) visa valid for?
The Tier 1 (Investor) visa is initially granted for a period of 3 years and 4 months.
Tier 1 (Investor) visa – Extension
You can extend your Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a further 2 years subject to meeting each of the following requirements:
- Within 3 months of your entry to the UK you invested not less than £2 million in the UK by way of share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies. Where the initial grant of leave as a Tier 1 (Investor) was granted before 29 March 2019, investment can also have been made in the UK by way of UK Government bonds
- The £2 million investment has been maintained for the whole of the remaining period of leave
Tier 1 (Investor) visa – Settlement
You can apply for settlement after 2, 3 or 5 years subject to meeting all of the following requirements:
- Within 3 months of your entry to the UK you invested at least £2 million in the UK by way of share capital or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies. Where the initial grant of leave as a Tier 1 (Investor) was granted before 29 March 2019, investment can also have been made in the UK by way of UK Government bonds
- At least the £2 million investment has been maintained for the whole of the remaining period of your leave
- You have absences from the UK of no more than 180 days in any 12 calendar months during the specified continuous period. The specified continuous period is:
- 2 years if you invested £10 million
- 3 years if you invested £5 million
- 5 years if you invested £2 million
You can apply for settlement up to 28 days before you will reach the qualifying 2, 3 or 5 year period.
You cannot combine Tier 1 (Investor) leave with leave in any other category to meet the continuous leave requirement.
If you were granted Tier 1 (Investor) entry clearance or leave to remain before 6 November 2014 on the basis of £1 million investment, you must apply to settle before 6 April 2022 in order to avoid only time being spent with the investment at £2 million being able to be counted towards settlement.
How can Setfords help you with your Tier 1 (Investor) visa application?
For further information, please get in touch below.
Discuss your Tier 1 (Investor) visa application with our Immigration Experts now
Quotes from previous clients
“Extremely professional and discreet individual. Very pleased with her work and would certainly highly recommend Nicola’s services to anyone”.
“Nicola has great strengths in handling clients and in communicating to clients in a practical and understandable manner that delivers business driven solutions. She has an outstanding ability to deliver legal advice that is moreover practical and deliverable for clients, which is a key advantage when working with her as a client. Nicola demonstrates a can-do attitude to all matters that come her way and performs tasks to a very high standard against strict deadlines. Not only is she an extremely capable individual, but she is also very hardworking with outstanding interpersonal skills and builds client rapport with ease. I would thoroughly recommend Nicola to any business or individual looking for legal advice”.