To all our valued customers,
Our primary concern is the wellbeing of our loved ones, and that of our staff and customers, and we sincerely hope you are safe and well.
For several weeks we have been preparing our business to ensure we can continue to provide legal services during the Covid-19 outbreak.
Our business model is already built around smart working, with our technology designed to support over 200 lawyers who already work from home, reducing the need for social contact.
The information here outlines how we will continue to operate and what adjustments we are making to ensure the safety of our clients and staff.

Read more here

Lease Extension and Enfranchisement Solicitors in Ottershaw, Surrey

Our Lease Extension and Enfranchisement solicitors in Ottershaw will help you exercise your right to extend your lease whether you’re an individual or a group of leaseholders looking to claim enfranchisement over your freeholder.

If your lease has an unexpired term remaining of 80 years or less we strongly advise that you extend the lease immediately. A lease with 80 years or less left to run is liable to an additional valuation called marriage value. This is a further amount the tenant is required to pay in addition to the premium to extend the lease and in some cases can increase the price payable to extend the lease substantially. In addition to this, mortgages can be difficult to obtain if the lease has less than 60 years to run. This is also likely to put off potential buyers.

However, obtaining a Lease Extension or applying for Collective Enfranchisement can be complex and certain qualifying criteria must be met before an application can be made. The base criteria for both avenues is detailed below.

We’d always recommend speaking to an expert if you’re unsure whether you meet the criteria to be able to extend your lease or pursue enfranchisement. Our Lease Extension and Enfranchisement solicitors in Ottershaw are happy to discuss your matter in more detail and can be contacted on 0330 058 4011 or via the form here.

John Summers

John Summers

Head of Enfranchisement

    Qualifying for an individual Lease Extention

  • The original lease must have been granted for a term exceeding 21 years
  • The leaseholder/tenant must have been registered as owner of the property for at least 2 years (they do not have to be in occupation)
  • If you satisfy the qualifying criteria then a notice can be served on your landlord/the freeholder, requesting a new lease.
  • If the parties are unable to agree a premium to extend the lease then the leaseholder can make an application to the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) for a decision. This application must be made within six months of the date of the the Landlord’s Counter-Notice.

    Qualifying for Collective Enfranchisement

  • Two thirds of the flats must be owned by tenants whose leases were originally granted for at least 21 years
  • The Leaseholder does not own more than 3 flats or more in the same building. However if such a owner is present their properties will be discounted for the purpose of calculation to reach the eligible percentage
  • The participating Leaseholders must own at least half of the flats in the building, and they must own at least two flats in total. It does not matter whether the flat is owned by an individual or a company or whether the owner resides in the flat or not.
  • If the building is partly non-residential, the non-residential part must not be more than 25% of the building.

Why use Setfords for Lease Extension and Enfranchisement matters?

  • We offer a friendly and personal service which is always timely and relevant.
  • We can provide expert advice at a competitive price.
  • Upon instruction you’ll deal with an experienced solicitor from start to finish.
Enquire today

What our clients say

Speak to a solicitor now

    Call our team on 0330 058 4012

    or fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

    We normally respond within 30 minutes during working hours.
    Read our privacy statement here