Richard is a highly experienced Commercial Property Lawyer with over 30 years of practical knowledge including a substantial amount of Corporate and Commercial experience. He looks to understand what the commercial considerations are for the client and prides himself on being commercially “savvy”.
Richard believes that being technically good and knowledgeable about the law is important but is a stronger skill when coupled with commercial sense.. He considers that spotting the “problems” is only half of the job. The important other half is about finding the solutions, which takes clarity of thought, creativity and the ability to negotiate.
Based in Bristol and Wellington but covering the M5 corridor Exeter to Bristol, including Somerset and Devon.
- Bristol and Wellington (on the Somerset/Devon border)
- University of Bristol - LL.M in Commercial Law - 1995
- University College, Cardiff - LLB - 1975
Areas of law practised include:
- Business transfers linked to property in particular hotel, leisure industry and motor retail sectors
- Investment property sales and purchases
- Land acquisition including development site assembly, options and background statutory agreements
- Commercial property sales and purchases
- Leasehold work including the taking, granting or assignment of leases and landlord related managerial work such as landlord’s licences
- Advice on construction contracts including associated documentation
- Collateral warranties, forms of appointment etc
- Company acquisition and disposal
- Corporate related work including shareholder agreements
- Commercial contracts
In addition to his legal skills, Richard has in the past acquired a good basic working ability in Japanese. His proficiency speedily returns when work requires it.