An experienced commercial litigator with a proven track record in skilfully guiding clients through complex disputes across a wide range of sectors. Commercially astute and well placed to advise in relation to the various funding options now available for commercial claims and experience in obtaining litigation insurance for difficult cases.
Granted Higher Rights of Audience to appear in the Higher Courts.
- Represented Kevin Keegan in his claim in Constructive and/or Wrongful dismissal against Newcastle United FC. The case raised interesting issues concerning the meaning and effect of the terms of a Premier League Manager’s contract of employment. The claim was successful and the client was awarded £2 million damages plus interest and costs. The Premier League Arbitration Tribunal panel which included Philip Havers QC and Lord Pannick QC, took the unusual step of publishing their Award and their reasons for it. The decision was also subsequently reported: Keegan v Newcastle United Football Company Limited  IRLR 94
- Advised and represented Kevin Keegan in connection with claims against both News Group Newspapers and Mirror Group in relation to allegations of Phone Hacking. The client was contacted by the police and informed that they had evidence his mobile phone voicemail had been intercepted. Advising the client, conducting investigations, bringing claims for misuse of private information and breach of privacy. Subsequently negotiating settlement and securing substantial damages, undertakings and costs in relation to both claims.
- Advised well known football commentator in his claim against his former employer
- Advised Premier League footballer in relation to a Libel action
- Advised and represented a well known Sports Agent in relation to a £1 million contractual dispute with another Sports Agent.
Areas of Expertise
- Commercial disputes
- Partnership disputes
- Sports Law disputes
- Financial mis-selling
- Insurance disputes
- Professional Negligence
- Shareholder disputes
- Advises in connection with executive level employment disputes.
- Taxation of termination payments.
- Enforceability of Restrictive Covenants
- Residential and Commercial Conveyancing
- Contentious Residential and Commercial Property
- Collective Enfranchisement and Lease Extensions (LRHUDA 1993)
- Contentious LRHUDA 1993 matters, advocacy before the First-Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber)
- Boundary disputes
- Advising property developers
- Construction disputes
- Rights of Light disputes
Memberships and Associations:
- Law Society
- The Solicitors’ Association of Higher Courts Advocates
- The Law Society Civil Litigation Section.