James is an experienced Commercial Property solicitor practising in Devon.
He has over 10 years of post qualified experience gained in private practice and the public sector. James joined Setfords in February 2021 following a successful career as a freelance consultant advising local authorities on major projects across the south-west of England.
James can act for you on a wide range of commercial property transactions including:
- New Commercial leases for offices, shops, industrial units, and mixed-use sites
- Existing Lease management: licenses to assign/underlet, deeds of variation, deeds of release
- Sale and purchase of non-residential freehold and leasehold properties
- Purchase of land for potential development (including overage and clawback arrangements)
- Options to purchase and contracts conditional on planning
- Compulsory Purchase
- Easements, covenants and other rights and restrictions over land.
- Dedication of land as Highway and the removal of Highway status of land
If you are buying or selling a business alongside your property transaction James can also assist with the transfer of the business as a going concern, including arrangements for the transfer of the goodwill of the business together with any plant, equipment and/or stock-in-trade. He has a particular specialism in acting for clients in the transfer of hospitality businesses such as hotels, pubs and restaurants.
Outside of work James is an enthusiastic member of the Exeter Morris Dancers and regularly contributes articles to international publications about Military History.