Ian joined Setfords in 2013 as a Senior Consultant Solicitor in the firm’s insolvency and restructuring team.
Ian qualified as a Solicitor in the City in 1984 and has worked in London and the South East for more than 25 years helping to find pragmatic solutions for stakeholders to avoid or deal with the commercial and legal effects of financially distressed or underperforming businesses. He is also authorised by the Law Society as an Insolvency Practitioner (non-appointment taking) which gives him additional insights into the rescue culture and the need to identify and address both operational and financial issues on a restructuring or turnaround, to maximise the chances for long term success.
Ian has substantial experience of Insolvency, Corporate Recovery and Restructuring in both contentious and non-contentious matters. He regularly advises Insolvency Practitioners, secured lenders, unsecured creditors and landlords, as well as companies, directors, partnerships and individuals on all aspects of insolvency law to find practical solutions to maximise value and minimise the risk of incurring civil, criminal or personal liability. In many cases a key factor to a successful outcome is for stakeholders to seek and follow professional advice as early as possible, when more options are likely to be available.
Areas of Expertise include:
- Restructuring and financing
- Liquidations, solvent and insolvent
- Pre-insolvency advice and continuing to trade
- Business and asset sales and acquisitions
- Pre-packaged sales and SIP 16 compliance
- Retention of Title
- Advice on COMI, cross border and jurisdictional issues.
- Priority, validity and enforceability of security
- Distribution of realisations
- Personal Guarantees
- Preferences, transactions at an undervalue and phoenix trading issues
- Landlord’s rights and remedies in insolvency
- Liens, distress and forfeiture
- Insolvency litigation including shareholder, director and partnership disputes
- Director’s duties and defence of disqualification proceedings
- Individual and company Voluntary Arrangements
- Statutory Demands
- Winding Up Petitions
- Personal insolvency issues
- Bankruptcy Petitions
- Fixed charge and LPA receiverships
Ian is a member of the Insolvency Lawyers’ Association, a Fellow of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3) and a member of the Turnaround Management Association.