Angela is a Legal 500 ranked competition law specialist with over 13 years' experience practicing in major commercial law firms.
Angela has successfully defended clients in a number of competition investigations conducted by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) and the European Commission. Representative matters include persuading the CMA to drop its investigation into a prominent client in relation to an Airport Facilities price fixing case in just 6 weeks (related investigations continued into other investigated parties with the CMA imposing fines of £1.6 million on Heathrow Airport Limited); securing a 90% discount on financial penalty in a CMA market sharing case, persuading the CMA of the novelty of the application of the law to the particular facts; and securing a rare “no grounds for action” decision on behalf of the supplier investigated party in a major resale price maintenance investigation.
Colleagues note Angela’s technical excellence, and clients have praised her for her “practical, enabling and commercially-minded” behavioural advice and for her "solid advice on tactics”.
As well as defending clients in investigations, Angela regularly advises clients on:
- Day-to-day compliance queries: on issues such as recommended retail prices, customer restrictions, gathering market intelligence, contacts with competitors, exclusivity arrangements, non-compete clauses, organising sales channels and selective distribution, helping clients to avoid competition law issues arising in the first place.
- "Proactive defence": to uncover and deal with existing latent risks, including audits and preparing and submitting leniency applications in order to secure immunity from penalties through the CMA and European Commission leniency programmes.
- UK and EU merger control: including advising on whether notifications are required or advised in EEA jurisdictions or advised in the UK; and preparing and submitting notifications where required or advised.
- Due diligence, warranties and conditions precedent in corporate transactions
- Effective and engaging competition compliance, dawn raids and anti-bribery training programmes: drawing on her experience of defending clients in investigations to really bring competition law training to life.
In addition to competition law, Angela advises clients on the application of the National Security and Investments Act and emerging digital markets regulation.
Angela enjoys theatre, music, and travel and has an interest in ancient archaeology