Free Inital Consultation on Settlement Agreements
If you’ve been offered a settlement agreement, speak
to our team now:
- Call us: 0330 058 4011
- Email us: email@example.com
- Chat to us now: Open
- Send an enquiry form
We offer a free consultation nationwide, where you can speak to us on the phone about your
settlement agreement so
that we can ascertain how we can best help you.
To find out more about the benefits of accepting a settlement agreement or what a settlement agreement
is see below for more details:
- What is a settlement agreement?
- What are the benefits of taking a settlement agreement?
- Why use a Setfords lawyer for your settlement agreement?
Please note that the consultation will not provide any specific legal advice on your
issue however it will allow our team to give you general guidance and suggest next steps in order to
progress your settlement agreement.
What is a settlement agreement?
A settlement agreement (formerly known as a compromise agreement) is a formal document that both
the employer and employee will sign where the terms of an employee’s exit from the business have
been agreed. It is a legal requirement that you receive independent legal advice on the
agreement, and your employer will normally make a contribution to the cost of this legal advice.
At Setfords we have considerable experience advising employees in all industries and at all
levels on settlement terms offered to them. We can also negotiate where necessary with your
employer to make sure that you are getting the best settlement in the circumstances.
You may want to leave your employment, or have already done so, but have not yet raised the
possibility of a settlement agreement with your employer. Where appropriate we can approach your
employer with a view to exiting you from your employment in an agreed manner.
What are the benefits of taking a settlement agreement?
- They are a fast and efficient way to make a clean break from an employer and receive more
compensation following a termination than you would under your employment contract or statutory
- The first £30,000 of any compensation under the agreement can usually be paid free of deductions
for tax or national insurance contributions.
- Very often, you will be paid in lieu of notice (PILON) which will reflect your full notice in
one lump sum without having to work during this period. PILON payments are usually subject to
tax and NIC.
- A settlement agreement can avoid the lengthy time and cost involved in dealing with a protracted
formal complaint or tribunal claim.
- You have the security of obtaining a pre-agreed wording for a reference to be provided to future
Why use a Setfords lawyer for your settlement agreement?
- We are highly experienced in advising on settlement agreements and successfully negotiating the
- We offer a quick and streamlined service to turn around your settlement agreement within
- We will invoice your employer directly in respect of their fee contribution.
- We can provide our advice to you expeditiously to meet tight deadlines which frequently arise
with settlement agreements.