Enquire with us today
Call our team on 0330 058 4011 or fill out the form below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
What is a Fiancé(e) visa?
A Fiancé(e) visa allows a British citizen or a person settled in the UK to bring their fiancé(e) to join them in the UK so that they can establish their relationship.
If the application is successful, the applicant will be issued with six months leave to enter the UK as a fiancé(e) and the marriage must be finalised in the UK within these six months to apply for further leave to remain in the UK on the basis of marriage.
What criteria must I meet to be eligible for a Fiancé(e) visa?
All of the following criteria must be met in order to successfully qualify for a Fiancé(e) visa:
Eligibility criteria as set out in the Immigration Rules:
- Both partners must be aged 18 years or over
- Both partners must have met in person
- The relationship must be genuine and subsisting
- The applicant must be seeking entry to the UK to enable the marriage or civil partnership to take place
- The couple must intend to live together permanently in the UK
- Any previous relationship of either partner must have broken down permanently
- The British Citizen or settled individual must have a gross annual income of at least £18,600 or have adequate cash savings to support his or her fiancé(e). If there are children, the gross annual income or savings requirement is increased.
- The couple must have adequate accommodation for themselves and their dependants in the UK
- The applicant must satisfy a basic English language requirement in speaking and listening to at least level A1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
Suitability criteria as set out in the Immigration Rules:
- The applicant must not be the subject of a deportation order
- The applicant’s exclusion from the UK must not be conducive to the public good (for example, because he/she has been convicted of an offence for which he/she has been sentenced to a period of imprisonment or because their conduct, character or associations make it undesirable to grant them entry clearance)
- The applicant must not have submitted false information, representations or documents in relation to the application or have failed to disclose material facts in relation to the application
- Within the period of 12 months prior to the date on which the application is submitted, the applicant must not have been convicted of or admitted an offence for which he/she has received a non-custodial sentence or other out of court disposal that is recorded on their criminal record
- The applicant must not have failed to pay litigation costs awarded to the Home Office or have failed to pay charges in accordance with the relevant NHS regulations
Exemption from the £18,600 financial requirement:
If your British Citizen or settled partner is in receipt of one of the following benefits, then you do not need to satisfy the £18,600 financial requirement:
- Attendance allowance
- Carer’s allowance
- Disability living allowance
- Personal independence payment
- Armed forces independence payment or guaranteed income payment under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
- Constant attendance allowance, mobility supplement or a war disablement pension under the War Pensions Scheme
- Severe disablement allowance
- Industrial injury disablement benefit
- Police injury pension
Should this apply, the applicant must also provide evidence that their British Citizen or settled partner is able to maintain and accommodate themselves, the applicant and any dependants adequately in the UK without recourse to public funds.
How long is a Fiancé(e) visa valid for?
Once your visa is granted, you will be granted leave to enter the UK for 6 months. Once the marriage has taken place, you can apply for leave to remain in the UK as a married partner which will be granted for 30 months on each occasion. After the five-year period, you will be eligible to apply for settlement in the UK.
How long will my Fiancé(e) visa application take to process – outside of the UK?
If you apply from outside of the UK, the application can take several months to process. However, if you pay for the Priority visa for settlement service which is £573, your application will be placed at the front of the queue for priority processing and most people get a decision within 15-30 working days.
Why use Setfords for Fiancé(e) visa matters?
- Expert legal advice specific to your matter
- Excellent technical knowledge of all aspects of Fiancé(e) visa applications
- Extensive experience in making successful applications under a number of provisions of the Immigration Rules for such applications especially in relation to attaining the financial requirement based on cash savings, salaried employment, self-employment, investment liquidation and property sales
- Cost effective service with upfront fixed fees so that clients know what to expect
- Being able to contact your lawyer out of office hours
- Unwavering commitment to delivering excellent client care
- Meticulous preparation of all paperwork and supporting documentation to expedite the process
We are happy to answer your enquiry by email or on the telephone and can do so outside office hours if you prefer. To receive more information, please complete the form below or call our enquiries team on 0330 058 4011.
Quotes from previous clients
“Nicola is an absolute pleasure to work with. She is dedicated and flexible, and her legal expertise and personable nature instils confidence and professionalism. She has very strong analytical and interpersonal skills and presents her work with skill, diligence and meticulous attention to detail. One of the key strengths I would like to underline is Nicola’s very thorough approach to tasks, which has always resulted in complete overviews, allowing clients to take educated, well balanced decisions. All of her cases are managed with care, and result in client satisfaction on provided support. Her work has been consistently appreciated by clients where Nicola’s attentive approach has been recognised. She is a self-motivated individual who always exceeds expectations”.
To receive more information, please complete the form below or telephone Nicola on direct line 020 8103 2006.